When did the license change from MS-PL to GPLv2?

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM

In the blogosphere when you search for Telerik Extentions you will find many blog posts claiming that Telerik is releasing those extensions under MS-PL license.

Now it obviously is not MS-PL and I'm wondering whether it was ever released under MS-PL license?
If so, when did the license change?
If not wasn't that just a nasty marketing trick to gain attention and have free advertisement of a commercial product?

The reason I am asking is the crucial difference between MS-PL and GPLv2 and it is the fact that you are not allowed to build commecial products with GPLv2, which is contrary to MS-PL (at least AFAIK) - and that would be the reason to such a huge hype about the product in the blogosphere.

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Since their official release, the Extensions have been dual-licensed under GPLv2 and a Commercial license. Only the CTP release, which contained the jQuery extensions, was released under MS-PL. Regarding whether you can build commercial software, please refer to the following blog post and forum thread for further information.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Certainly would be nice to have the LGPL on this. I can't use GPL in my project, and can't justify the commercial license.